Saturday, May 25, 2013

Post op day 4 may 25

I thought we were off to a good start the morning, she ate some Cheerios and didn't put up huge fights with the nurses. .the the drs on rounds decided that they would start treating lily for chylothorax because she continues to have large amounts of  fluid draining.  So the first step in this treatment will be no food by mouth for about two weeks :(  she will receive all her nutrition by IV.

We took lily to the "beach" today.  The beach is like a large play room with different activities to do.  She went there once before while waiting for surgery, and liked playing Dr. with a big doll they had and she liked painting.  This time When I asked her what she wanted to do when she got there the first thing she said was play dr.  Which kind of surprised me,  I thought she would be sick of dr.s by now!   It broke my heart a little bit, as each time she went to a new activity she was excited, but appeared defeated and would say I'm done now after a minute or two.  She quickly lost Interest in each activity because it was difficult for her to play, as she was in a stroller and only had use of one hand.  She had the most fun playing at the water station.  We fed the creatures tea and gave them baths it was nice to see her smiling.  


Near the end of our stay there Justin went to take the camera back to our room and I was playing a super large version of connect four with her.  I saw her making faces and thought she's going to puke! I frantically looked around to see if there was anything I could grab to put infant of her face but to no avail.  The started to get sick and I just turned her head and tried to catch it.  Gross I know but at that moment I did not even care.  I looked around for someone that could help me (as there are hospital workers in there at all times) but all I could see we're telus volunteers (it was telus day of giving and there were like 20 of them in there, the place was packed, but that is not who I needed to help). Miraculously I remembered the name of the girl working in there at the time and just yelled for her.  Then I had a full on melt down. Allison and another woman came over and helped clean us up enough so we could get going back to our room and they took care of the mess we left.  I guess that was my breaking point today.


Miraculously Lily did not once say she was hungry or ask for something to eat,  and very rarely asked for something to drink.  She spent the rest of the day paying mr. potato head, doing puzzles, watching movies and even attempted standing up for the first time.  Standing didn't work out so well, she was extremely wobbley on her feet and wanted to get back in bed.  I made her do some leg exercises to get her legs moving at least, Lily thought it was a fun game.


No comments: